Skip to content ↓

English as an Additional Language

At North Baddesley Infant School and Nursery, we embrace speakers of different languages. We value all the wonderful skills and experiences it brings. We also understand that you may have questions bringing up a child in a home with different languages.  Please explore the information below to support you and your child at home.

How do I support my child?

Below is information about how best to support your child, whether they are new to school or are progressing through the education system.  Some of the important ways you can do this are:

  • Speaking in your first language at home
  • Getting involved in school
  • Supporting your child with reading

Parents are a child’s first and most important teacher and this influence continues throughout a child’s learning journey. We know from research that where parents are involved with their child’s learning, there is a positive impact.

Learning at home is very important to the progress and development of all children and we value the contributions parents make.

Should I speak English at home?

Do not stop speaking in your home language! It is very important for children and young people learning English as an additional language to continue to communicate in their first language at home.

 How can I help my child if I am not fluent in English?

The quality of talk in the home is one of the key factors in enhancing learning and this can take place in any language. Parents do not have to speak good English to support children. You can help by:

  • Showing an interest in your child’s learning
  • Building on your child’s natural curiosity and fascinations
  • Asking them to tell you about what they have been learning at school
  • Praising your child for positive learning attitudes and persistence
  • Building your child’s self-esteem and belief that they can achieve
  • Encouraging your child to have high aspirations
  • Encouraging your child to find out more about a topic by asking relatives, using the library or searching on the internet

How do I speak to someone about my child’s education in my first language?

EMTAS (Ethnic Minority and Traveller Achievement Service) is Hampshire County Council's support service for parents and carers and children who have English as an additional language: 

EMTAS - Ethnic Minority and Traveller Achievement Service | Hampshire County Council (

They operate phone lines to support with home/school communication: 

EMTAS phone lines (Term time only) | Hampshire County Council (

What do I put on the forms?

EALparentsfirstlanguageandascription.pdf (

How can I help my child get ready for school?

Parents/carers who speak English as an Additional Language | Hampshire County Council ( – Getting ready for school in languages relevant to our school

Extra information and resources

Parents/carers who speak English as an Additional Language | Hampshire County Council (

Apps to help

App wheel